- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18. (Center for Disease Control, December 2005 ACE Study –Prevalence—Adverse Childhood Experiences [Electronic version] Retrieved on May 3, 2010 at http://www.cdc.gov/nccdph/ace/prevalence/htm.)
- 100 girls under the age of 18 are raped for profit on a typical night in Georgia. (According to the Georgia Governor’s Office for Children and Families CSEC tracking study)
- The average life expectancy of a girl in forced prostitution is seven years with homicide or HIV/AIDS as the main causes of death. (Shared Hope International, July 2007)
- Atlanta is one of the top 14 cities in the US for sex trafficking according to the 2005 FBI Status Report.
- The average age of a child first used in prostitution is 11 to 14, with some as young as 9 years of age. (2005 FBI Status Report)
- 70% of runaways become a part of the sex trade industry. (Goodman, 2005 as cited by Hidden in Plain View: The Commercial Exploitation of Girls in Atlanta, 2005, page 16.)
- 23% of men in Georgia have paid for sex with females. 20,700 do so every month. (Georgia Demand Study, 2000 by the Schapiro Group, Atlanta, GA)
- 45% of CSEC cases happen online and fifty percent on the street. (AFNAP/YouthSpark Provider Project)
- 65% of CSEC victims deal with post-traumatic stress disorder and fifty-two percent experience educational losses. (Provider Project)
Wellspring Living Facts:
- Currently the only approved residential program for CSEC victims. Georgian Care Connection refers ALL CSEC victims in need of residential care to Wellspring Living.
- Developed comprehensive programs for therapy, education, advocacy, mentoring and life skills for victims.
- Consulted with United Nations envoys regarding duplication of the Wellspring Living model internationally, in October 2010
- Featured on Fox News America’s HQ as the organization with the largest capacity for comprehensive care of CSEC victims
- Engaged 5 cities in our Organizational Mentorship Program and 15 cities in trainings about CSEC, demand, and Wellspring Living’s programs.